Sunday, February 22, 2009

I left my heart in San Francisco

I recently had an opportunity to travel to San Francisco on business. Well, I flew into San Francisco Airport, but that’s about as close as I got to SF Proper. I did, however get to visit pretty much every other place between there and San Jose in three days.

If you've never been there, the San Francisco Airport (SFO) is not actually in San Francisco, it's in San Bruno - just south of the Airport's namesake. If you are planning a trip the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, I recommend a stay at the SFO Marriott Courtyard in San Bruno. It's about 5 minutes from the airport, the rooms are clean, people are nice and they serve a wicked omelet for breakfast.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Southern California in the Anaheim to San Diego area, but had not been to the Bay Area for about 30 years. It's changed since then... but then again, I was only about 10 years old. In any case, l really enjoyed my few days there.

My business meetings spanned from San Bruno to San Jose and included Redwood City, Menlo Park, Sunnyvale, and San Mateo. In fact, I covered about 9 cities in the time it normally takes me to get from home to the Calgary airport - about 40 minutes. If I had to live in Cali, I certainly would not complain about moving to any of these locations.

If you happen to be in the Bay Area and you have a hunger for a great bagel, I highly recommend hunting down a "Noah's" Bagel Shop. There is one in San Mateo on 4th that served me quite possible the best bagel I've ever tasted.

For the geeks reading this, a trip past the Oracle complex is sure to impress. This place has six towers that look ironically like old data drums placed around a huge fountain on Marine Parkway in Redwood Shores. I absolutely had to stop and take a picture or two. The Sci-Fi Museum is another must if you are at all interested in that genre of writing. As a Sci-Fi writer myself, just finding it was a thrill.

If you're looking for a quick and delicious lunch I recommend In and Out Burger. To Cali residents this comes as no surprise, but to outsiders looking for a great burger, this is a real find. They make basically two things - hamburgers and cheeseburgers - but they do it very well.

I look forward to the next trip - Maybe I'll actually make it into San Francisco next time.





No comments: