Saturday, November 2, 2013

A boy and his dog

I picked up our dog's ashes from the cremation service today.  Just another chore on my Saturday "to-do" list.  A matter of process and procedure, right?  It's just a dog, right?

Asking for the box at the front counter was easy.  Filling out the paperwork was a piece of cake.  It's all just standard process, paperwork, payment.  Just another chore.  I carried her box of ashes out to my truck and put her on the back seat - and then it hit me.  I was putting her in the back seat of the truck for the last time ever.  It took at least 10 minutes to regain my composure so I could actually drive.

What's the big deal you say?  Why shell out another $200 for a cremation services after spending thousands in vet bills for years already?  It's just a dog right?  We can always get another one, right?

Lets put this into perspective for a minute, and there will be many people who can relate closely to this, I know I am not alone here.  Our Jersey Girl, this dog who was now ashes in a box in the back seat, had been part of our family for fourteen and a half years.  She was an old girl, and it was her time, and she went peacefully, but none of that rationale makes this any easier.  My wife and I have been married for nearly 30 years, and we have spent literally half that time with her in our family.  She spent more time sleeping in our bed than we did.  She helped care for a half dozen children who at one time or another called our house "home".  When a new puppy came into our lives a few years ago, she instantly adopted him and taught him how to be a good dog.  She was a teacher, a companion, a protector, and a friend.

Jersey was really my son's dog, and they both knew it to the end.  I cannot tell you how many times I walked out of the house and just before I closed the door, said to her, "Good dog, guard the house, protect the boy", and she did it so very well.  When he would go away for too long, she would curl up at his door or on his bed to make sure he was ok when he came home.

Protector, friend, companion, confidant, helper, and travel mate.  Pay $200 for cremation service to respectfully send her off?  Absolutely - without question.  So I put the box of ashes in the back seat and our Jersey Girl got to take one last ride in the truck - one of her favourite things to do.  

I will miss those truck rides.



No comments: