Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Things I hate about flying First Class

I normally fly coach for all my business trips but recently took advantage of an upgrade offer to First Class on an 6 hour trip to Boston. I have not flown First Class since I was 12 years old, and I had forgotten what the experience was like. I thought I would run down my "like" and "dislike" list for you.

First of all, I really hate that you get on the plane first, bypassing the long annoying line of coach passengers. Oh wait... that was supposed to be on my "like" list. Well, I really hate that they serve lunch like it came from a 4 star hotel with a never ending supply of red or white wine "on the house". Hmm... that was supposed to be on my "like" list too.

Let's see....
Hot steamy towels to wash up before lunch...
Gold label salted almonds for snack...
Chocolate praline desert (OMG that was good)....
Fresh brewed coffee in a real mug...
Complimentary headset....
Nice fluffy pillow...
Extra twelve inches of leg room...
One flight attendant for 6 people....
Fold down foot rest for my tired feet....

...yeah.... those were all supposed to be on my "like" list.

Ah here it is... the "dislike" list..
Those pesky flight attendants always filling up your glass or asking if you want anything else to make your flight more comfortable.

OK, so I had to have something on the dislike list. So I guess it is pretty clear, I will be trying to book First or Executive class for all my long flights in the future.

I think every person who is involved in providing front-line customer service should take a First Class flight at least once every year. This is an airborne classroom in the art of exceeding expectations. If you interact directly with clients and are responsible for their satisfaction, a First Class flight to anywhere is a good lesson in the difference between meeting customer expectations and exceeding them. Anyone who has a goal to provide exemplary customer care can learn from this experience.

No, I did not save you any almonds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are going to hate flying Singapore Airlines Coach-class:

You can board the plane first (provided you are Star Alliance Gold, which I'm sure you have at least)

The lunch/dinner is pretty good and you have two choices (don't know how it compares to your 4-star meal)

Hot, steamy towels before takeoff

Dessert is usually some sort of ice cream, like a small cup of chocolate Häagen-Dazs or Nestle bar

Coffee comes in a mug, though really small (not sure how else they would serve it)

Pillow and blanket placed on all seats before you arrive

Seats have always been pretty comfortable

And every seat has a fold-down foot rest.

Perhaps the quality of each of these isn't up to your first-class experience, but at least it's nice to get it on every flight. :-)

me said...

Wow - that's amazing that Singapore Air offers that level of service in coach. I'll have to find an excuse to come visit you! :)